5 Things You Should Know About Coccyx Pain treatment in Delhi
By Dr Amod Manocha
The coccyx or the tailbone is the bottom most part of the spinal vertebral column which has many muscle and tendon attachments. It is one of the lesser known body parts but this bony beak shaped structure gains attention in cases of coccygeal pain or in common terms, coccydynia. It is imperative to consult the best pain specialist and many patients are now looking for pain treatments in Delhi due to availability of experienced doctors, high-end infrastructure and world class treatment available at quite a reasonable price.
2. What triggers Coccydynia?
Coccyx plays a role in stabilizing your body when you sit, or switch positions and is subjected to stress and strain especilly when using lack of ergonomically designed furniture.
Coccydynia is particularly common in women due to a wider pelvic structure possibly predisposing tailbone to more stress. Coccyx injury in particular is the most common cause of coccyx pain and it may cause bruising, inflammation, dislocation or fracture of the tailbone.
Mentioned below are the various causes for coccyx injury:
- Falling while being in a seated position, while on a chair, or from the stairs
- Sports injuries
- Injury during labour
- Friction injury caused by cycling or rowing
- Idiopathic causes
- Bone spurs
- Prolonged sitting
3. A brief overview of the symptoms and signs of Coccyx Pain:
- Coccydynia causes intense, severe, sharp pain in the buttock area and can aggravate on changing positions from sitting to standing or leaning.
- Coccydynia can present as pain and discomfort during sexual intercourse.
- Sometimes it is accompanied by bruising.
- Difficulty in bowel movements, accompanied by pain.
4. How is Coccyx Pain Diagnosed?
You need to consultant experienced pain specialist who can diagnose your tailbone pain. Proper diagnosis and identification of provocating factors helps tailor treatment to achieve best results
- A proper history is taken first to rule out any instances of injury or trauma
- Examination can help narrow down the possible pain generators
- In cases of bone spurs and injury, X rays are taken.
- MRI may be requested especially In case of cancer or fracture
- Injections can further help confirm the source of pain
5. Management and Treatment
The key to successful management of coccydynia is consulting an experienced pain specialist. Coccydynia can be managed by a combination of lifestyle modifications, physical therapy and pharmacological measures. This includes
- Avoiding further strain on the pain area by using cushions for support
- Reducing weight if you are overweight
- Physical therapy
- Use of injections like –
- Coccyx or Sacrococcygeal Joint Injections, and
- Ganglion Impar block and Radiofrequency treatment.
Pain Specialists also suggest the followingfor relief from Coccydynia :
- Preventing prolonged sitting position and avoiding hard surfaces while sitting
- Ice fomentation during acute flare up episodes
- Over the counter medications including NSAIDS like Naproxen, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen
- Consuming high fiber foods to counter constipation
Tags = Pain Treatment in Delhi, Pain Management in Delhi, Best Pain Specialist in Delhi Back To Home